Probation is the conditional and supervised freedom of the (law) offender. The person involved in the probation may be the defendant, convict or prisoner

During probation, probation officers carry out supervision and, through professional procedures, influence risk factors in the behaviour of the offender in order to re-socialize and reintegrate the offender into the community.

The Probation Service does not impose or change the imposed measures, obligations and sanctions, but only executes them on the basis of final judgments or decisions of the State Attorney, the court or the enforcement judge.

These orders could be community service, conditional sentence with protective supervision, speecial obligations or security measures, conditional release or obligations imposed by state attorney.

Other community services and organizations, such as the police, welfare center, addiction treatment institutions, or various non-governmental organizations, may also be involved in probation activities.

Obligations of a person involved in probation

If you are an offender under probation, you are required to:

  • carry out tasks properly in accordance with the established deadlines and timetable for your Indvidual sentence plan
  • report to the probation office regularly
  • notify the office without delay if there has been a change of place of residence or whereabouts.

You should contact the probation officer in all situations that may be significant for your Individual sentence plan, such as: misdemeanor punishment, arrest by police, loss of employment, initiation of divorce, initiation of proceedings for the removal of parental rights, etc.

Rights of a person involved in probation

Unlawful treatment and discrimination are prohibited against a person involved in probation. If you are involved in probation you have the right to the protection of privacy, confidentiality of personal information and the right to complain about the treatment of the probation officer.
Under the Probation Act, when it comes to situations such as acute illness, significant worsening of a chronic illness, death of a family member, risky pregnancy, etc., you can delay or interrupt work for the common good.

In such a case, you must file your adjournment request with the Probation Office within three days of receipt of the decision on the assignment to work, and the application may also be submitted during your working hours for the common good.

You can contact the probation officer in person (by visiting the probation office), by phone or e-mail. In case your probation officer is not present, you can contact any probation officer.